Sunday, May 24, 2009

Can't Keep Up


Ever since I started to write in earnest three months ago all of a sudden I am having more and more ideas for books and novels. And I am afraid to lose these ideas before I get around to actually writing them so every couple of weeks of late I am having to stop and hammer out the first chapter of a new novel I want to write.

I had a great idea today and of course I had to sit at the computer and type out the first five pages. Maybe its just a way to procrastinate having to edit my first novel some more, because as said before editing sucks. Or maybe it was because these ideas have been sitting in my head for years and because up until now I hadn't been typing them out they saw the first chance to escape and they are trying to make a mass exodus from my brain to paper where others can read them.

Whatever the reason all of a sudden I feel buried by ideas and doubt I will ever be able to get them to paper fast enough. Oh and I should be editing Funny Ties some more, I am only 5 chapters in on a second draft edit right now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Patrick--

    Just do it, like you do it, and keep doing it and see what happens. Anyway--

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just that fear you will lose the ideas if you don't at least get a rough synopsis or first chapter written.

    I ended up typing 10 pages of the new idea and I am actually looking forward to writing some more this weekend. I am printing out my manuscript on Tuesday (I need to get done with my 2nd draft edit before that but I only have like 80 pages to go so if I just do 20 pages a day I will be fine). I am then giving it to my wife and she is going to get to go apeshit on it with a red pen.

    I figure this is a great two prong method because I am so entangled in the project that I need to step back and the editing will vastly help me. Once I am done with this second draft edit I don't plan to look or think about Funny ties for several week and during that time I am going to go back to writing.

    I am really thinking I am going to do the new idea, it just intrigues me so much and I feel apart of the story right now. Its driven me crazy to let the idea sit for days right now while I finish editing.

    ReplyDelete