Thursday, May 7, 2009

Novels and Dreams


I have been reading On Writing a Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King as of late and he talks about a band him and some fellow writers began in 1992. He said one of the best things about hanging out with other writers is they don't ask you where you get your ideas from because they know that other writers understand they don't know where ideas come from.

I had a dream two months ago and it gave me a great idea for a novel but it was one of those 3am dreams that you wake up from but don't remember much of it by 9am when you get up. I did write a one paragraph synopsis of it though the next morning. Well while taking a nap yesterday I had the same dream or a similar dream again and this time since it was a nap dream I was able to better foster the idea and get it to paper.

So while I should be editing Funny Ties my first novel that I finished last week I found myself today sitting down and starting to write a little of possibly my second novel. The funny thing was I was going to actually write a completely different novel for my second novel as soon as I was done editing Funny Ties.

Its a story that has been nagging at me for ten years now and two years ago I wrote the first ten pages to it and the first chapter. But this morning I hammered out 5 pages of this new idea that has only been with me for two months.

So now I face that quandry of which book to write next, Bonkers or Villain but I really need to get back to editing Funny Ties first.

No comments:

Post a Comment